July 27, 2014, 11:13:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Become our fan on Facebook!  www.facebook.com/greysealpuppets!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sculpt or coat  (Read 11793 times)
confused monkey

View Profile Email
« on: November 04, 2008, 08:14:18 AM »

Is there a less expensive method then sculpt or coat for the pupets mouths? Between shipping and the price I am looking at 50 dollars. Thanks, Steve
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:06:49 PM by confused monkey » Logged

Jubilee Puppets
Puppets And Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:24:50 AM »

For all intents and purposes, sculpt or coat is glue.  Smiley  Well it is a bit more then that but I would bet that you can get white glue in your area for much less and you might want to experiment with coating your mouths with several layers of plain white glue. It would not be as thick so you would need more layers.

Another product called Tool Dip would also be an option but not sure if you can find that where you are.

gspuppets
Grey Seal Puppets
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:10:26 AM »

To be completely honest, since The Foam Book was published we have slowly gotten away from using Sculpt or Coat.  We had a problem with it molding in the humidity. 

Nowadays, we reinforce the finger tubes by covering them with fabric, gluing them to the mouth plate, and then cutting a strip of canvas and gluing that over the top of the finger tubes so that it straps the finger tubes in place.

Vania Reckard
Grey Seal Puppets
Become our fan on Facebook!  http://www.facebook.com/greysealpuppets

confused monkey

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:21:15 AM »

Grin OK, thank you. I think I'll try both methods. (so many puppets want to be made, so little time.) Steve

Jubilee Puppets
confused monkey

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 07:19:18 AM »

OK, I used white glue and tool dip ( I'm really into overkill) The puppet is nearing completion and I'll be posting his picture in the next couple of weeks) Steve

Jubilee Puppets
gspuppets
Grey Seal Puppets
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:29:16 AM »

Cool!  We'll look forward to seeing your finished puppet!

Vania Reckard
Grey Seal Puppets

confused monkey

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 09:22:49 PM »

It's done, but I am getteing a message the I don't have enough space on the site to post a picture, I must be doing something wrong-Steve

Jubilee Puppets
gspuppets
Grey Seal Puppets
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 07:06:12 AM »

Hi Steve,

There may be a problem with whoever is hosting your image.  You may need to increase your space limit, or sign up with a free hosting service like www.photobucket.com or http://imageshack.us/.  (Photobucket gives you 1 gig for free, I'm not sure about image shack.)

Let me know if that doesn't work, and I'll try to figure out something else!

Vania Reckard
Grey Seal Puppets

Puppets And Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:18:21 AM »

Steve,
I assume you are trying to use the Attach feature of the forum here that is listed under Additional Options.  There is a limit on both file size and on how many image you can put in each post.
Maximum attachment size allowed: 128 KB, per post: 4
That means that you may need to change the resolution of your images.  What often happens is a person well take a picture with their digital camera and then try and upload it right from the camera with out any changes. These image often have a resolution of 300 or more so that they can be printed out and look nice.  A video screen only sees at the most a resolution of 78.  Most cameras come with an editing program and there should be a way to easily change those images.  Look for "Save for Web" "Resize for Web"  or something similar.  You can also look for setting of Resolution or DPI that can be changes in advanced areas if you want more control.

The other alternative is to do as Vania has suggested and go with a services where you can upload and image.  Then use the image/picture icon to insert a tag into the post.  You then place the link or URL to your image between those tags. There is more information on this on the Help page.

gspuppets
Grey Seal Puppets
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 06:13:31 AM »

Shawn, thanks for your help!  I didn't realize that you could post a picture on the forum without having a separate host for it.  Good to know!

Vania Reckard
Grey Seal Puppets

gspuppets
Grey Seal Puppets
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 06:50:16 AM »

I did some research (many thanks to Shawn for his help) and posted some information about uploading pictures in the FAQ section.  I hope this helps.  Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

Vania Reckard
Grey Seal Puppets

confused monkey

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 06:39:44 AM »

Thanks for all the help (what a site-you not only learn about puppets but photography as well- The solution shawn gave worked- Steve

Jubilee Puppets
tsmith

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 12:46:17 PM »

From your above:
"To be completely honest, since The Foam Book was published we have slowly gotten away from using Sculpt or Coat.  We had a problem with it molding in the humidity.

Nowadays, we reinforce the finger tubes by covering them with fabric, gluing them to the mouth plate, and then cutting a strip of canvas and gluing that over the top of the finger tubes so that it straps the finger tubes in place."

My question:
Do you use anything in place of Sculpt or Coat on the outside of the puppet? If not, do you use cloth for skin and are you hand sewing it or how are you coloring the skin?
gspuppets
Grey Seal Puppets
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 12:12:57 PM »

I replied to tsmith individually, but I thought I'd copy my reply here in case anyone else has the same question:

Usually if we want a shiny or more plastic-y finish on a puppet, we'll use a stretchy patent.  There's a really large fabric store not far from here called Mary Jo's (http://maryjos.com/) that carries stretch patent in a wide range of colors.  There are other fabrics with shiny finishes that can work as well- like vinyl and some types of spandex.

When I'm covering a puppet with fabric, I machine stitch the fabric cover, but stitch it by hand to the actual puppet.  I try to do as much by machine as I can, but sometimes and hand-sewn seam looks better.  It really just depends.  For a fabric like patent or spandex, the more you can stitch on a machine, the better, because they aren't as forgiving to hand-sewn seams.  I hope this all makes sense.

Drew is in the process of writing a follow-up to The Foam Book, and there is a section on covering puppets with fabric.  Just in case you want to keep an eye out for it.  (I imagine it won't be published until the Fall, though.)

Vania Reckard
Grey Seal Puppets

Puppets And Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »

I've used a product called Tool Dip that you can get in hardware stores to "coat" foam in the past.  You can get it in liquid or spray form. The draw back is that the foam can soak it up quite a bit if you are not careful.  I use the spray form of the product and give several light coats.  I don't think it would be good to cover the entire head but works great for things like noses.  I did to the belly of a puppet once in it.   

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: